"No Wake Zones" on Lakes in the Western Fishing District
The Western Fishing District includes all waters in Montana west of the Continental Divide.
Lakes Greater than 35 Acres: All vessels operating on public lakes and reservoirs greater than 35 surface acres within the Western Fishing District are limited to “no wake speed” from the shoreline to 200 feet from the shoreline. The exceptions include:
- PWCs that must maintain a minimum operating speed to remain upright and maneuver in the water may travel at the minimum operating speed following the most direct route through the “no wake zone” to and from shore.
- Motorized watercraft towing a skier to or from a dock or the shore. Watercraft must travel the most direct route through the “no wake zone.”
- Vessels operating on the following lakes located within the Thompson Chain of Lakes in Lincoln County:
- Crystal Lake
- Horseshoe Lake
- Loon Lake
- McGregor Lake
- Middle Thompson Lake
- Lower Thompson Lake
- Upper lobe of Upper Thompson Lake
- Vessels operating on Lake Five in Flathead County
Lakes 35 Acres or Less: All vessels operating on public lakes and reservoirs in the Western Fishing District that are 35 acres or less of surface water are limited to “no wake speed.”
No Wake Zones Near Commercial Marinas: All watercraft are limited to no wake speed surrounding commercial marinas as buoyed.
Visit www.fwp.mt.gov for a list of lakes, their locations, and their sizes.