About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Montana Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Montana Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

  • All vessels that require registration must also be titled in Montana. You must apply for a title within 40 days of the purchase or transfer.
  • Validation decals are in effect for 3-year periods and expire on February 29 of the last year of the period.
  • New boat owners can title, register, and obtain the permanent registration and validation decals from their local county treasurer’s office.
  • Boat owners who have already received their permanent registration decal can obtain the free validation decals from their local Fish, Wildlife & Parks office or order them online at the FWP website at www.fwp.mt.gov
  • The owner of a numbered vessel must notify the county treasurer within a reasonable amount of time if:
    • He or she changes address.
    • The vessel is lost, stolen, destroyed, abandoned, or sold.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may, at the option of the owner, be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard. Call the USCG’s Documentation Center at 1-800-799-8362 for more information.