About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Montana Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Montana Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In Montana, a boat owner must have the title (certificate of ownership), the boat registration (certificate of number), and proper decals to legally operate on Montana’s waters. Boat owners can obtain these documents and pay all fees to the County Treasurer in the county where the owner resides. Exceptions to registration requirements are:

  • Non-motorized sailboats less than 12 feet long and all manually-propelled vessels
  • Vessels registered in other states using Montana waters for 90 consecutive days or less
  • Vessels documented with the U.S. Coast Guard