Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Decals
The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, decaled, or otherwise affixed to the forward half of each side of the vessel, placed to be clearly legible.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the vessel.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
- Number's color must contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen: NV 3717 ZW or NV-3717-ZW.
- Decals must be affixed on each side of the vessel toward the stern of the registration number and within six inches of and in line with the number.
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described above.