Table of Contents

Download the PDF Version

It's the Law

Discharge of Oil and Other Hazardous Substances

Discharge of Oil Prohibited
Oil discharge placard

It is illegal to discharge oil or hazardous substances.

You are not allowed to dump oil into the bilge of the vessel without means for proper disposal.

You must discharge oil waste to a reception facility. On recreational vessels, a bucket or bailer is adequate.

If your vessel is 26 feet or longer, you must display a 5 x 8-inch placard near the bilge pump switch stating the Federal Water Pollution Control Act’s law.

If your vessel discharges oil or hazardous substances in the water:

  • Immediately call the National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802.
  • Also notify the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NH DES) by calling
    • 603-271-3899 (oil and non-oil spill) between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday–Friday.
    • After 4:00 p.m., call the New Hampshire State Police at 603-223-4381, or in state toll-free 1-800-346-4009.