Table of Contents

Download the PDF Version

Overnight Anchoring & Mooring Permits

Overnight Anchoring

It is against the law to anchor your boat overnight on any inland surface waters of the State of New Hampshire. Overnight is defined as “the period of time between the termination of daylight in the evening to the earliest dawn of the next morning.”

A houseboat is defined as a “ship, boat, raft, float, catamaran, or marine craft of any description which has sleeping and toilet facilities, regardless of whether such facilities are of a permanent or temporary nature.” Occupied or unoccupied houseboats may be beached, grounded, or tied to the shore of any of the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only when on or at a location owned, leased, or permitted by the owner. Also, the owner, lessee, or person with permission of the owner must give written notice of this fact promptly to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services.

Mooring Permits

Boat anchored to mooring buoy.
Moor or attach a vessel to a mooring buoy.

Some New Hampshire waters require a shorefront property owner to obtain a mooring permit before placing a mooring in the waters.

Mooring permits are required on the following lakes: Bow, Newfound, Ossipee Pleasant, Squam, Sunapee, Winnipesaukee, and Winnisquam.

For more information, or to request a permit application, call the Mooring Program at 603-293-2037.