Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Decals
The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the forward half of the vessel such that it is clearly readable.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the vessel.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast with the hull background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a hyphen or a space: NH-3717-ZW or NH 3717 ZW.
- Decals must be placed on both sides of the bow within six inches of and to the right of the number.
Sailboats that are at least 12 feet long but less than 20 feet in length need to display the validation decals only (not the number) within two feet of the extreme forward part of the bow.
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described above.