Stop the Spread of Nuisance Species
To prevent spreading aquatic nuisance species:
- Inspect your boat and trailer, removing all aquatic organisms (zebra mussels and any aquatic plants).
- Drain your motor, live well, and bilge on land before leaving the area.
- Empty bait buckets on land before leaving the area.
- Never release live bait into a body of water or release aquatic animals from one body of water into another.
- Rinse your boat, trailer, live well, and equipment; and hand-remove anything trapped between the boat and trailer.
- Air-dry your boat and equipment for as long as possible—5 days is optimal.
- Flush the engine’s cooling system with hot water.
- Apply antifouling materials such as paint and films to boat hulls, trim tabs, transducers, and swimming platforms to discourage zebra mussel attachment.
- Avoid boating through dense beds of aquatic plants.