Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Decals
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered.
The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast sharply with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a hyphen or equivalent space:
NJ 3717 ZW or NJ-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Validation decals must be displayed on both sides of the vessel three inches aft of the registration numbers.