Non-Tidal Boat License
In addition to the registration card and New Jersey Boat Safety Certificate (if required; see above), some operators also are required to have a non-tidal boat license.
- A non-tidal boat license is required only if you are boating on waters where the tide does not change.
- A non‑tidal boat license is separate from the New Jersey Boat Safety Certificate and is issued through the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC). You must present your New Jersey Boat Safety Certificate at the MVC in order to obtain a non‑tidal boat license.
- The following persons are not required to have a non-tidal boat license (exemptions):
- Operators of vessels powered by a motor less than 1 horsepower or by a 12-volt electric motor
- Operators of vessels 12 feet long or longer and powered by a motor less than 10 horsepower
- Out-of-state operators who carry written proof of successful completion of a boating safety course substantially similar to the New Jersey course
- Operators participating in an authorized marine event