About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed New Mexico Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your New Mexico Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In New Mexico, all motorboats propelled by machinery or sail and operating on state waters must be numbered, and the Certificate of Number must be carried on board the vessel whenever the vessel is operated. The only exceptions are:

  • Motorboats owned by the United States, New Mexico, or any subdivision of those governments
  • Motorboats from another state using New Mexico waters for less than 90 consecutive days
  • Motorboats from another country using New Mexico waters temporarily
  • Vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG)