About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed New York Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your New York State Boating Safety Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

If your vessel does not have a HIN, you must obtain one before the vessel can be registered. To acquire a HIN for your vessel:

  • Obtain an application for a HIN (Form OPS 420) from any Department of Vehicles (DMV) office or online on the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website.
  • Send the completed application to the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP). Your application will be processed within two weeks, and someone from the OPRHP will arrange to have your boat inspected. After your boat passes the inspection, a HIN will be assigned to it.

Waiting for Your HIN Assignment?

To check the status of your application, please visit the OPRHP website at http://nysparks.com/recreation/boating/hull-identification.aspx.