What To Do If a Fire Erupts on Your Boat
If fire erupts on your boat:
- If underway, stop the boat. Have everyone who is not wearing a PFD put one on in case you must abandon the boat.
- Position the boat so that the fire is downwind.
- If the fire is at the back of the boat, head into the wind. If the engine must be shut off, use a paddle to keep the bow into the wind.
- If the fire is at the front of the boat, put the stern into the wind.
- If the fire is in an engine space, shut off the fuel supply.
- Aim the fire extinguisher at the base of the flames, and sweep back and forth (remember PASS).
- Never use water on a gasoline, oil, grease, or electrical fire.
- Summon help with your VHF marine radio.