About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Ohio Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Ohio Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires a Ship Station License for some vessels equipped with VHF radios, radar, EPIRBs, and some other telecommunications equipment.

  • As of 1996, most recreational vessels no longer need the FCC license if operating domestically. "Domestically" means not traveling to foreign ports or transmitting to foreign stations, including Canada.
  • Vessels still required to carry an FCC Ship Station License are:
    • Power-driven vessels over 65.6 feet (20 meters) in length
    • Vessels certified to carry more than 6 passengers for hire
    • Towboats and commercial fishing vessels
    • Other vessels required by federal law to carry a VHF radio, radar, etc.
  • The Ship Station License must be on board the vessel.
  • A license application (Form 605) can be obtained from any office of the FCC. There is a fee for the license. Call 1-800-418-FORM (3676) for an application and information.