Numbering of Watercraft
Every watercraft operated on Ohio water shall be numbered by this state or in compliance with their own state numbering system and shall properly display the number.
- Watercraft exempt from Ohio numbering are those:
- Documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (must be registered)
- Numbered by another state and not used in this state for more than 60 days
- From a country other than the United States temporarily using Ohio water
- Owned by the United States, a state, or a political subdivision
- Ship's lifeboat (a "lifeboat" is held aboard another vessel and used exclusively for emergency purposes)
- Exempted by the chief of the Division of Watercraft
- Under a waiver issued for a race or special event
- Hand-powered canoes, rowboats, and inflatable vessels if registered under section 1547.54 of the Revised Code (must have Alternative Registration)
- A watercraft numbered by this state shall display the number as described in ORC 1547.57.