Hull Identification Numbers
The Hull Identification Number (HIN) is a unique 12-digit number assigned by the manufacturer to vessels built after 1972.
- Hull Identification Numbers:
- Distinguish one vessel from another—the same as serial numbers distinguish one car from another.
- Are engraved in the fiberglass or on a metal plate permanently attached to the transom.
- You should write down your HIN and put it in a place separate from your vessel in case warranty problems arise or your vessel is stolen.
- Homemade vessels and vessels or motors without HIN or serial numbers may be assigned hull identification numbers only by the Department of Public Safety, Marine Enforcement Section of the Highway Patrol Division.