Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Decals
The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the forward half of the vessel, placed above the water line where it can be read easily.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters (not slanted).
- Number’s color must contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space: OR 371 ZW, as shown above.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Validation decals must be affixed on each side of the vessel. They should be placed in line with, and three inches toward the stern of, the registration number.
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described above or unless you have on board a valid temporary permit to operate a boat.