Hull Identification Numbers
The Hull Identification Number (HIN) is a unique 12-digit number assigned by the manufacturer to vessels built after 1972.
- Hull Identification Numbers:
- Distinguish one vessel from another—the same as serial numbers distinguish one car from another.
- Are engraved in the fiberglass or on a metal plate permanently attached to the transom.
- You should write down your HIN and put it in a place separate from your vessel in case warranty problems arise or your vessel is stolen.
- Altered, improper, or missing Hull Identification Numbers may be cause for marine enforcement officers to seize your vessel.
- A Hull Identification Number is required before a vessel may be sold in Oregon. The Oregon State Marine Board will assign a HIN for a home-built vessel or for an older vessel that does not have a HIN. Check with the Marine Board for requirements and procedure information.