About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Oregon Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Boater Education Card.

Learn More Register for the Course

  • A Certificate of Number is issued for two calendar years and is valid until December 31 of the year indicated. Owners of vessels that have already been registered will be sent a renewal notice in November.
  • If you change your address, you must notify the Marine Board within 30 days of the change. To update your address, you may log in to your account from www.boatoregon.com, send an email to [email protected], or mail the request within 30 days of the change.
  • If a numbered vessel is destroyed, stolen, or abandoned, the owner should report it to OSMB within 30 days of such event. If stolen, first report it to the local sheriff’s department so that a case number can be issued before reporting the theft to OSMB.
  • If the Certificate of Title for a Boat, the Certificate of Number (registration card) with or without decals is lost or destroyed, you can order replacements by logging into your account from www.boatoregon.com, visiting a boat registration agent, or sending the request by mail.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) apply for a U.S. Coast Guard “Certificate of Documentation” in lieu of an Oregon title. Call the USCG’s Documentation Center at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Documented recreational vessels still require state registration.

Waterway Access Permit (WAP)

Oregon residents and out-of-state operators of non-motorized boats: canoes, kayaks, stand-up paddleboards, rafts, drift boats and other manually powered boats, which are 10 feet in length or longer, must purchase a one week ($5), one year ($17) or a two year ($30) permit when operating on Oregon waters. One permit is required per boat; the permit is transferable from boat to boat and not required for youth 13 and younger.

The permits are available from Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife license agents or through their mobile app. Permits are also available through the Oregon State Marine Board office or through their online store.

Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Prevention Permit

Motorboats and Sailboats: As of January 1, 2010, all motorboats and sailboats must have an Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) prevention permit.

  • For Oregon residents, the permit fee is included in the registration fee. Current validation decals affixed to your vessel are proof that you have paid the AIS permit fee.
  • Out-of-state operators must purchase and carry one permit per boat. You can purchase the permit online at www.boatoregon.com or from Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife license agents.

Out-of-State Boats: All operators must clean their boats before entering Oregon waters, especially if the boat is coming from a state that is infested with zebra mussels or quagga mussels.

Oregon boaters are required to “Pull the Plug” when leaving a waterbody and during transport to allow any water-holding compartments to drain. Failure to “Pull the Plug” is a Class D violation.

All boats—motorized and non-motorized—being transported into Oregon are required by state law to stop at an inspection station when they are open. If you bypass an inspection station, you can be ordered back by law enforcement to be inspected if the station is within 5 miles. If you fail to go back to the station, you can be charged with a Class C misdemeanor. If you are entering Oregon when the stations are closed, you are not required to stop.

See www.boatoregon.com for more information on the permits.