Proper Speed and Distance on a PWC
PWCs have the following speed and distance restrictions.
- Slow to 10 mph when you are approaching within 100 feet of another powerboat or sailboat underway.
- Slow to “slow, no wake speed” (maximum 5 mph) when within:
- 100 feet of any anchored or non-motorized boat.
- 200 feet of a shoreline of a lake, bay, or reservoir (safe take-offs and landings are excepted)
- 200 feet of a swimmer, a surfer, a shoreline angler, or a diver-down flag
- 200 feet of a dock, launch ramp, marina, mooring area, floating home, boathouse, pier, or swim float
- Do not operate PWCs within 200 feet behind a person being towed on water skis or other similar devices.