Requirement to Carry Fire Extinguishers
All vessels, including PWCs, are required to have a Type B U.S. Coast Guard–approved fire extinguisher(s) on board if one or more of the following conditions exist:
- Closed compartments under seats where portable fuel tanks may be stored
- Closed storage compartments in which flammable or combustible materials may be stored
- Closed living spaces
- Installed inboard engines
- There are double bottoms not sealed to the hull or which are not completely filled with flotation materials
- Permanently installed fuel tanks
In Oregon, outboard motorboats that are less than 26 feet in length and of open construction are not required to carry a fire extinguisher.
Approved types of fire extinguishers are identified by the following marking on the label—“Marine Type USCG Approved”—followed by the type and size symbols and the approval number.