When treating victims of cold water immersion, you should:
- Get the victim out of the water as soon as possible. Remove the victim
from the water gently and in a horizontal position.
- Prevent further heat loss.
- Treat the hypothermia victim gently and to your level of training. Be prepared
to provide basic life support.
- Seek medical help immediately.
Learn to recognize symptoms of hypothermia. They are listed here in order of severity.
- Shivering, slurred speech, blurred vision
- Bluish lips and fingernails
- Loss of feeling in extremities
- Cold, bluish skin
- Rigidity in extremities