Who May Operate a Powerboat
The law also establishes special requirements for younger boaters.
Those less than 12 years of age:
- May not legally operate any size powerboat.
Those 12 to 15 years of age:
- May legally operate a vessel powered by a motor of 10 hp or less alone only if he/she has received his/her Boater Education Card and is carrying it on board.
- May legally operate a vessel powered by a motor of greater than 10 hp only if he/she:
- Has received his/her Boater Education Card and …
- Is accompanied on board and is under the direct supervision of a parent, guardian, or responsible person 16 years old or older who possesses a valid Boater Education Card. If the vessel is a personal watercraft, the supervising person must be at least 18 years old and possess a valid Boater Education Card.