Boarding a Canoe From a Shoreline
Place the canoe in the water with its stern touching the bank.
- With one paddler:
- Hold onto the gunwales on both sides of the stern.
- Place one foot in the boat.
- Push away from shore with the other foot.
- Climb aboard as the boat slides out into the water.
- Walk down the boat’s centerline to your seat. Keep your center of gravity low as you walk, and continue to hold onto the gunwales.
- With two paddlers:
- The stern paddler steadies the boat by holding the stern between his or her legs.
- The bow paddler steps into the boat, walks down the middle of the boat, and sits on the bow seat. Be sure to hold onto the gunwales.
- The stern paddler holds onto the gunwales, places one foot in the boat, pushes away from shore with the other foot, and climbs aboard.