Stand-Up Paddleboard Paddles
When selecting a paddle for a stand-up paddleboard, consider both its weight and its length.Weight
- Lighter paddles are often more expensive, but using a heavier paddle will tire you more quickly.
- You want a paddle that will be comfortable to use for long periods of time.
- To find the correct paddle length, start by following the manufacturer’s recommendation for sizing. In addition:
- Stand up straight and find a paddle that is 8 to 12 inches taller than you are and…
- Make sure that when the blade is completely in the water, the paddle’s grip is not higher than your shoulder.
- Consider the type of paddleboarding activity.
- Generally, longer paddles work well in flat water and for beginners. Shorter paddles provide more control in rough water.
- For example, some paddlers choose a shorter length when paddling in surf than they would use on flat water.