Boating Accidents and Casualties
An operator involved in a boating accident must:
- Stop his or her vessel immediately at the scene of the accident and ...
- Assist anyone injured or in danger from the accident, unless doing so would seriously endanger his or her own vessel or passengers and ...
- Give, in writing, his or her name, address, and vessel identification to anyone injured and to the owner of any property damaged by the accident.
Reporting Boating Accidents
Vessel operators involved in a boating accident must report the accident to the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission (PFBC).
- The operator must notify PFBC immediately and report the accident in writing to PFBC within 48 hours if a person dies or disappears.
- The operator must report the accident in writing to PFBC within 48 hours if an injury occurs that causes any person to require medical attention beyond simple first aid.
- The operator must report the accident in writing to PFBC within 10 days if damage to the vessel and other property exceeds $2,000 or if there is complete loss of any vessel.
Written reports must be made on accident report forms supplied by PFBC. You may access the Boating Accident Report form from the PFBC website.