Other Equipment Regulations - Other
Pennsylvania law specifies requirements for boat trailers.
- A trailer must be equipped with two safety chains attached to the towing vehicle in a crisscross or “X” pattern. The safety chains should be adjusted so that they do not drag and also will support the trailer if it becomes disconnected from the vehicle.
- All trailers must be equipped with the same lighting system required on the rear of the towing vehicle, and all lights must operate in conjunction with the lights on the vehicle.
Permits are required for some events and activities.
- All tournaments, regattas, races, parades, and exhibitions must be authorized by the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission (PFBC) or U.S. Coast Guard. An application must be filed with PFBC at least 60 days before the event.
- Floating structures, including ski ramps, must have a permit from PFBC to be placed on any waters.
- Waterway markers, including signs and buoys, must have a permit from PFBC to be placed on any waters. This includes mooring buoys.
Many waterways in Pennsylvania have special regulations such as horsepower restrictions. To check out a waterway’s specific regulations, visit PFBC’s website.