Requirements for Towing
Vessel operators towing a person(s) on water skis, aquaplanes, surfboards, inner tubes, or any similar devices must obey these laws also.
- All persons being towed behind a vessel on water skis or any other device must wear a U.S. Coast Guard–approved PFD.
- A USCG–approved PFD must be carried in the vessel for each skier electing to wear a special water-skiing wetsuit.
- Inflatable PFDs are not acceptable for anyone being towed behind a vessel.
- Ski tow ropes may not exceed the following lengths:
- Conventional water-skiing—80 feet
- Parasailing—300 feet
- Nonreleasable kite-skiing—150 feet
- Releasable kite-skiing—500 feet