Waste Management Plan
Ocean-going vessels that are 40 feet or more in length with cooking and sleeping facilities must have a written Waste Management Plan.
The captain of the vessel is responsible for implementing the Waste Management Plan.
The Waste Management Plan, identifying the vessel’s name and home port, should be posted and should include directives to all persons on board about:
- Discharging sewage and hazardous substances
- Discharging garbage and other food waste
- Disposing of plastics, bottles, and cans
- Reading applicable placards for additional information
- Advising the captain in case of oily discharges or diesel spills