The Handbook of South Carolina Boating Laws and Responsibilities
The Official Boating Handbook of the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources - Web Version
Table of Contents
Defend against theft of your vessel and equipment.
- Store your vessel so that it is not easily accessed.
- Store your vessel and trailer in a locked garage or storage area.
- Park another vehicle in front of the trailer, or lock the trailer to a fixed object in a well-lighted area.
- Secure the vessel and trailer to a fixed object with a good quality chain and lock. If moored, secure the vessel to the dock with a steel cable and lock.
- Remove a trailer wheel if parked for an extended time.
- Purchase a quality trailer hitch lock and use it.
- Chain and lock the motor and fuel tanks to the vessel.
- Mark or engrave all equipment with an identifier such as your driver’s license number.
- Photograph or videotape the interior and exterior of your vessel, showing all installed equipment and additional gear and equipment. Make a complete inventory of your equipment, vessel, and trailer.
- Remove expensive electronics or other valuables if the vessel is left unattended.
- Cover your vessel and always remove the keys.
- Title and register your vessel.