Hull Identification Numbers
The Hull Identification Number (HIN) is a unique 12-digit number assigned by the manufacturer to vessels built after 1972.
- Hull Identification Numbers:
- Distinguish one vessel from another—the same as serial numbers distinguish one car from another.
- Are engraved in the fiberglass or on a metal plate permanently attached to the transom.
- If a vessel (including a homemade boat) has no HIN, or if the manufacturer’s HIN has been removed, obliterated, or altered, the owner must apply to the local county treasurer’s office for a HIN.
- You should write down your HIN and put it in a place separate from your vessel in case warranty problems arise or your vessel is stolen.
- It is illegal to destroy, remove, alter, cover, or deface a HIN.