About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed South Dakota Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your South Dakota Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

  • Boats over 12 feet in length and all motorized boats purchased or acquired by a resident of South Dakota on or after July 1, 1993, are required to be titled. Canoes, inflatable boats, kayaks, sailboards, and seaplanes cannot be titled.
  • Vessels are registered for a one year period.
  • Application for title and registration is made to the county treasurer’s office in the applicant’s county of residence.
  • Damage disclosure is required on all vessels that apply for a Certificate of Title if the vessel is six years old or less. Damage disclosure must be made if the vessel has incurred damage in excess of $5,000 at any one time or if the vessel has damage in excess of $5,000 that has not been repaired.
  • If a Certificate of Number (registration card) or validation decal is lost or destroyed, the vessel owner must apply to the county treasurer in the applicant’s county of residence for a duplicate.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard. Call the USCG at 1‑800‑799‑8362 for more information. Documented vessels on South Dakota waters are required to be registered but not titled. They must display the validation decals but are not required to display the boat number.