The Handbook of Tennessee Boating Laws and Responsibilities
The Official Boating Handbook of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Web Version
Table of Contents
The Certificate of Number is valid for one, two, or three years, at the option of the owner.
Vessel registration may be renewed in one of three ways:
- Online at www.tn.gov/twra/boatmain.html
- By mail to Boat Registration, TWRA, P.O. Box 41729, Nashville, TN 37204
- In person at any business which sells TWRA hunting and fishing licenses
The owner of a numbered vessel must notify TWRA within 15 days if:
- You change your address.
- The vessel is lost, stolen and/or recovered, destroyed, abandoned, or sold.
If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Number or validation decals, you must apply to the TWRA for a duplicate. The processing fee is $6.00.
Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard. Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information.
- Documented vessels must be registered in Tennessee and carry the Certificate of Number on board. They are not required to display the registration number.
- The validation decals must be placed on both sides of the vessel on the windows closest to the main operator station. Sailboats may place the decals on both sides of the bottom of the main mast.
Where to Register
Before registering your vessel for the first time, you must pay the sales tax to the dealer or at your county clerk's office. You then will receive an application that shows the sales tax has been paid. After completing the application, submit it to the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA).
Mail it to:
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, Boating Division
P.O. Box 41729
Nashville, TN 37204
Or fax it to:
Or take it to the Nashville TWRA office located in the Ellington Agricultural Center
Vessel Registration Fees
|Length of Vessel||One-Year Registration||Two-Year Registration||Three-Year Registration|
|16' and under||$13||$24||$35|
|Over 16' to less than 26'||$25||$48||$71|
|26' to less than 40'||$38||$72||$107|
|40' or longer||$51||$97||$142|
The listed fees are valid as of October 2013, and they are subject to change at any time. To see the most current fees, go to http://www.state.tn.us/twra/boatregistrations.html.