Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Decals
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described below.
The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow where no other number may be displayed.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high, plain, vertical BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a hyphen or a space: TN-3717-ZW or TN 3717 ZW.
- Decals may be placed to the left or right of the registration number on both sides of the bow.