Table of Contents

Download the PDF Version

It's the Law

Party Boat Operator Licensing and Inspection Process

A Party Boat Operator License issued by the TPWD is required for operators of charter vessels, operating on inland waters, carrying more than six passengers and with a length exceeding 30 feet. The only exemption from this requirement is if the operator holds a current USCG Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV) License, often referred to as a “6-pack license,” or higher level of Captain’s license issued by the USCG. Inland charter or party boats must now also have annual inspections and post the annual inspection certificate on their boat. For more details on the Party Boat Operator regulations, age and experience requirements, and application process, see the TPWD website at