The Handbook of Texas Boating Laws and Responsibilities
The Official Boating Handbook of the Texas Parks and Wildlife - Web Version
Table of Contents
|PWC||Boat Less Than 16 Ft.||Boat 16 Ft. to Less Than 26 Ft.|
|Boater Education Certification Card and
Photographic Identification on Board
|Certificate of Number on Board||✓||✓||✓|
|Validation Decals Displayed||✓||✓||✓|
|PFDs: Type I, II, III, or V||✓2||✓3||✓3|
|PFD: Type IV||✓|
|Type B-I Fire Extinguisher||1 B-I||1 B-I||2 B-I or 1 B-II|
|Engine Cut-Off Switch||✓||✓||✓|
|Backfire Flame Arrestor||✓|
|Horn, Whistle, or Bell||✓||✓||✓|
|Daytime Visual Distress Signals||✓5|
|Nighttime Visual Distress Signals||6||✓5||✓5|
- Applicable if operator is under 18 years of age. See Who May Operate a Vessel.
- Those on PWC must wear a personal flotation device (PFD) at all times.
- Those under the age of 13 must wear a PFD at all times while underway.
- Required on boats with inboard engines or stern drives.
- Required when boating on federally controlled waters.
- Certain items are not applicable to PWC because they are not allowed to operate between sunset and sunrise.