About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Texas Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Texas Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

A Party Boat Operator License issued by TPWD is required for operators of charter vessels that are operating on inland waters, are carrying more than six passengers, and have a length exceeding 30 feet. The only operators exempt from this requirement are those holding a current USCG Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV) License, often referred to as a "6-pack license," or higher level of Captain's license issued by the USCG. Inland charter or party boats must now also have annual inspections and have the annual inspection certificate posted on their boat. For more details on the Party Boat Operator regulations, age and experience requirements, and application process, see the TPWD website at www.tpwd.state.tx.us/partyboat.