Negligent Operation of a Vessel
Utah law states that these dangerous operating practices are illegal:
Negligent Operation is willfully or negligently operating a vessel or manipulating water-skis or other devices in a manner that causes danger to the life, limb, or property of any person. This includes:
- Not paying attention to the operation of the vessel.
- Failing to keep a proper lookout.
- Failing to observe the navigation rules.
- Failing to display the proper navigation lights when boating at night.
- Operating in a manner or at a speed that exceeds safe and reasonable limits under the existing circumstances.
- Operating at a rate of speed that creates a wake that causes damage or injury.
- Operating such that your vessel collides with another vessel or object.
- Attempting to spray others with the wake of your vessel.