Preparing for Safety While Paddling
Before departing, a paddler prepares for safety by doing the following.
- Practice reboarding your craft in the water with the help of a companion.
- Dress properly for the weather and type of boating.
- Check your craft for leaks.
- Map a general route and timetable when embarking on a long trip. Arrange for your vehicles to be shuttled to the takeout point.
- Know the weather conditions before you head out. While paddling, watch the weather and stay close to shore. Head for shore if the waves increase.
When participating in water activities that expose you to the water, such as paddling or windsurfing, consider both the water and the air temperature when deciding whether to wear a wetsuit or other cold water protective clothing.