Waste Management Plan
- Federal law requires ocean going vessels of 40 feet or longer with a galley and berth to have a written Waste Management Plan.
- The captain of the vessel is responsible for implementing the Waste Management Plan.
- The Waste Management Plan, which identifies the vessel’s name and home port, should be posted and include directives to all passengers and/or crew about:
- Discharge of sewage and hazardous substances
- Discharge of garbage and other food waste
- Disposal of plastics, bottles, and cans
- Applicable placards for additional information
- Advising the captain in case of oily discharges or diesel spills