It's the Law

Other Facts About Titling and Registering

All motorized vessels that are 16 feet long or longer and manufactured as a 2004 model year or newer must be titled as well as registered. The application to obtain the title to your vessel is a part of the same form used to register the vessel.

The registration fee includes the validation stickers. (See Schedule of Fees.)

Registration is valid for one year from date of issue. You may not register for a partial year. The same registration number remains with your vessel from year to year unless you fail to renew.

If you change your address or transfer ownership of your vessel, you must notify the DMV within 15 days of the change.

If your registered vessel is lost, stolen, or abandoned, you must report it to local authorities and to the DMV within 15 days.

If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Registration or a sticker, you must apply for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.

Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the USCG. Owners of documented vessels must apply for and display Vermont validation stickers.

A vessel of less than 10 horsepower used as a tender to a registered vessel will be deemed registered at no additional cost. The vessel must have the same registration number as the registered vessel painted or attached to both sides of the vessel’s bow followed by the number “1.”