It's the Law

Discharge of Oil and Other Hazardous Substances

It is illegal to discharge oil or hazardous substances.

You are not allowed to dump oil into the bilge of the vessel without means for proper disposal.

You must discharge oil waste to a reception facility. On recreational vessels, a bucket or bailer is adequate.

You must immediately notify the USCG (1-800-424-8802) if your vessel discharges oil or hazardous substances in the water. You also must call Vermont Emergency Management (1-800-641-5005) and report the discharge.

If boating on federally controlled waters and your vessel is 26 feet or longer, you must display a 5 x 8-inch placard made of durable material, fixed in a conspicuous place in the machinery spaces or at the bilge pump control station, stating the Federal Water Pollution Control Act’s law.

A 5 x 8-inch sign that states the law pertaining to oil discharge
Discharge oil placard