Age and Boating Education Requirements
- All persons born after January 1, 1974, must have successfully completed an approved boating safety education course to legally operate any motorized vessel (this includes personal watercraft).
- The boating safety education course must be approved by the Vermont State Police. Those successfully completing a course are issued a certificate by the Vermont State Police, which is valid for the student's lifetime. Those younger than 12 years of age but older than 10 years of age must take a classroom course.
- Persons required to have completed the course must carry his or her course certificate on board when operating a motorized vessel.
- No one under 12 years of age may legally operate any vessel powered by a motor of more than 6 horsepower, even if the person has successfully completed a boating safety education course.
- No one under 16 years of age may legally operate a personal watercraft (PWC), even if the person has successfully completed a boating safety education course.