Before Leaving Home With Your Boat and Trailer
Secure the boat on the trailer and the gear within the boat.
- Secure all gear in the boat firmly to keep it from shifting. Arrange the gear so that its weight is balanced side-to-side and front-to-back.
- Secure the boat to the trailer with several tie-down straps and/or safety lines to prevent the boat from shifting. Use extra tie-down straps in case one fails. Never trust the bow winch alone to hold your boat onto the trailer.
- Put the engine or drive unit in the raised position and secure it.
- Attach the safety chains between the trailer and the towing vehicle, crisscrossing them under the trailer tongue.
Inspect and maintain trailering equipment.
- Check the pressure of all tires on the towing vehicle and the trailer. Make sure you have a spare tire in good condition for both the vehicle and the trailer.
- Tighten the lug nuts/bolts on the wheels of both the towing vehicle and the trailer, and grease wheel bearings.
- Make sure that all lights and brakes on the towing vehicle and the trailer work properly.
- Examine tie-down straps, lines, winch, safety chains, and hitch for signs of wear. Replace or adjust as necessary.