Navigation Rules Definitions
For the purpose of the navigation rules, the following definitions apply.
- Vessel: Every kind of watercraft capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, including seaplanes
- Power-driven vessel: Any vessel propelled by machinery, including a sailboat using an engine
- Sailing vessel: Any vessel under sail and with no engine in use
- Underway: Not anchored, tied to shore, or aground
- Risk of collision: Any situation when an approaching vessel continues on a collision course (the bearing of the approaching vessel does not change), or when you are approaching a very large vessel