Other Facts About Titling and Registering Your Boat
- All motorized vessels that are 16 feet long or longer and manufactured as a 2004 model year or newer also must be titled.
- Registration is valid for one year from the date of issue.
- If you change your address or transfer ownership of your vessel, you must notify the Department of Motor Vehicles within 15 days of the change.
- If a registered vessel is lost, stolen, or abandoned, the owner must report it to local authorities and to the Department of Motor Vehicles within 15 days.
- If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Registration or a sticker, you must apply for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.
- Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard. Call the USCG at 1-800‑799-8362 for more information. Owners of documented vessels must apply for and display Vermont validation stickers.