About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Boat Vermont Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Vermont Boating Safety Education Certification Card.

Learn More Register for the Course

  • All motorized vessels that are 16 feet long or longer and manufactured as a 2004 model year or newer also must be titled.
  • Registration is valid for one year from the date of issue.
  • If you change your address or transfer ownership of your vessel, you must notify the Department of Motor Vehicles within 15 days of the change.
  • If a registered vessel is lost, stolen, or abandoned, the owner must report it to local authorities and to the Department of Motor Vehicles within 15 days.
  • If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Registration or a sticker, you must apply for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard. Call the USCG at 1-800‑799-8362 for more information. Owners of documented vessels must apply for and display Vermont validation stickers.
Registration Questions? Call the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles at 1-802-828-2000. Also, you can call or visit one of the DMV offices or some Town Clerks offices. You may also visit the Department of Motor Vehicles website and download registration forms.