Penalties for Boating While Intoxicated
Vermont law establishes the following penalties for BWI.
- Upon a first conviction of boating while intoxicated, offenders:
- Lose the privilege to operate any vessel (except for a non-motorized canoe or rowboat) for up to one year and …
- Must successfully complete an alcohol program at the person’s own expense and …
- Are fined up to $750.
- Upon subsequent convictions, the fine is increased up to $1,000.
- A person boating while intoxicated who causes the death of another person will, upon conviction, be imprisoned for up to five years, fined up to $2,000, or both imprisoned and fined.