About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Boat Vermont Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Vermont Boating Safety Education Certification Card.

Learn More Register for the Course

All motorized vessels are required to have a Type B, U.S. Coast Guard–approved fire extinguisher(s) on board. Vessels less than 26 feet in length that do not carry passengers for hire are exempt from this requirement if the vessel is constructed such that flammable or explosive gases and vapors cannot be trapped in any compartment or space in the vessel.

Approved types of fire extinguishers are identified by the following marking on the label—“Marine Type USCG Approved”—followed by the type and size symbols and the approval number.