About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Vermont Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Vermont Boating Safety Education Certification Card.

Learn More Register for the Course

VHF radio

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires some vessels equipped with VHF radios to have a Ship Station License.

  • As of 1996, most recreational vessels no longer need an FCC license if operating domestically. “Domestically” means not traveling to foreign ports or transmitting to foreign stations, including Canada.
  • Recreational vessels that are still required to carry an FCC Ship Station License include power-driven vessels over 65.6 feet (20 meters) in length and any vessel on an international voyage.
  • For more information, contact the FCC by: