What You've Learned
You’ve completed the material of Unit 4 of the online boating safety course!
You should now:
- Know which boats need to be registered and how to do so.
- Be able to correctly place registration numbers and validation stickers on a boat.
- Know where to find the HIN number.
- Know the age restrictions and education requirements on operation.
- Be able to list the unlawful behaviors that should be avoided when operating a boat.
- Be able to explain the dangers of consuming alcohol or drugs while boating and the penalties for doing so.
- Be able to identify classifications and uses of personal flotation devices (life jackets) and state the legal requirements.
- Know the requirements for fire extinguishers, backfire flame arrestors, ventilation systems, and mufflers.
- Know the navigation light requirements.
- Know the requirements for visual distress signals and sound-producing devices.
- Know requirements for other equipment such as diver-down flags or state-required equipment.
- Understand the laws specific to personal watercraft.
- Know the laws for towing a skier with a boat.
- Understand how to properly dispose of waste, oil, and trash.
- Know when and how to report a boating accident.